Sunday, August 30, 2015

In Memory of Oliver Sacks

I first heard about Dr Oliver Sacks when I was studying psychology at Auckland University in the early 90's. I found him inspirational. The way he conveyed his stories was much more interesting to me than reading cold hard facts from a textbook. I purchased his book "The man who mistook his wife for a hat". I would still have a copy today if I hadn't let another student borrow it. His story "Awakenings"  was made into a movie. I thought Robin Williams captured the essence of Oliver Sacks so well. I'm not sure what Sack thought. But I loved the movie. It's ironic the Williams died before Sacks.
No doubt there are many clever and influential neurologists the world over but Dr Oliver Sacks was one of a kind. He told stories in a way that touched people. You didn't have to be a neuroscientist to understand and appreciate his work. Hats off to you Dr Oliver Sacks (9/7/1933 - 30/8/2015), thanks for sharing. 

 
Oliver Sacks, author and neurologist, dies at 82
MALCOLM RITTER, AP SCIENCE WRITER
Last updated 06:48, August 31 2015

       
Why Oliver Sacks is One of the Great Modern Adventurers
Smithsonian Magazine | Subscribe 


Watch Oliver Sacks: What hallucination reveals about our minds - TED2009



No comments:

Post a Comment