Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Scratch Day Webinar

Last week Karen from Scratch at MIT asked me to take part in a webinar. There was a group of about five of us asked to share our experiences about scratch day. This was the first time I have done anything like this. On a personal level I have used MSM and skype however this was quite different. Stephen Howell was one of the speakers. I have been following his project using the Xbox kinect's and I am very keen to give this a go. I have started a gallery on the Forrest Hill School scratch account with Stephen's projects called "Kinects". I'm also interested in Yoshiro Miyata's project. His ideas are inspiring. Linking people and cultures from around the world to learn together!
The technology of the webinar was great. It worked well overall with a few minor glitches. I still would prefer face to face. However, I think with a bit more practise it would become more natural.

Looking forward to May 21st Scratch Day 2011 it’s going to be a good one!

Some useful links
To review webinar:
http://scratched.media.mit.edu/resources/hosting-scratch-day-event-february-2011-webinar
Find out more about Stephen's kinect's project:
http://stephen-howell.tumblr.com/
Be a part of the World Museum 2011, Yoshiro's project:
http://day.scratch.mit.edu/users/yoshiro-miyata


2 comments:

  1. I was sitting alongside James as he participated in this webinar. The actual process of the webinar was amazing, being able to talk and see people from all over the world at the same time was unbelievable.

    Scratch is a fantastic environment that can only truly be appreciated when you see it in action. Seeing our students as teachers at the last Scratch day is a memory that will stay with me for a long time.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for participating. I really enjoyed hearing the ways in which each organizer imagined and created their Scratch Day events.

    I hope all goes well with Scratch Day 2011 -- and I can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete